CFUW Victoria members believe we can make the world a better place by developing partnerships and working together with like-minded organizations at the local, national, and international levels.
Our current foci are in three key areas:
- Violence against women and children
- Women’s equality
We advocate and initiate change in a number of ways:
- Educating our members and the community about the issues that matter to women;
- Supporting community organizations who support women and children;
- Campaigning for change through policy development and resolutions, motivated by social justice matters.
Educating Our Members
CFUW Victoria monthly meetings often feature a guest speaker who provides insights and information about issues of interest to CFUW women. In the last couple of years, we have heard from the PEERS Resource Society, Ocean Networks Canada, and the Representative for Children and Youth (just to name a few).
Through social media and our website we highlight opportunities for women to attend networking and social events around the region. The idea that women can learn from one another through interaction and thoughtful communication is strongly encouraged at CFUW Victoria. We emphasize the ideology of ‘it takes a village…’
Supporting Community Organizations
- March 2015: International Women’s Day with Victoria Women’s Transition House and Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan; screening of Wadjda on March 5
- December 2014: candlelight vigil with PSAC in memorial of the Montreal Massacre
- August 2014: educational talk by PARSA Executive Director Marnie Gustavson with Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan
- March 2014: International Women’s Day Didi Society screening of Half the Sky
Every year CFUW Victoria collaborates with all 113 Clubs across Canada to adopt national policy initiatives. At the Annual General Meeting in June, resolutions are presented for discussion and adoption.
In 2015 our Club, through the hard work and thorough research of one of our Advocacy Committee members, has submitted a resolution on climate change and the implementation of a carbon tax for presentation at the 2015 AGM in Quebec City.